Friday 28 March 2008

A word I will never forget

One of the things I have learnt to do while learning a new language is to not understand the exact meaning of certain words, I just can't be bothered to look up the word in the dictionary, especially if it is not used very often; also, as long as I get a vague idea of its meaning I don't really care.
In the book 'Twenty Something" that I read, there was a bit when the character goes to South America and gets ill with the food. Quoting his phrase he said something like:
I have been to the toilet 28 times in the last 24 hours. 5 blessed times I didn't know whether to squat or kneel.
I didn't really understand the word squat, but last week as I was trying to find a place to stay the night, I found the description of a hotel that said squat toilet. I asked, what is "squat toilet", and I was just told: the toilets you have been using in Morocco. Just a hole in the floor where everything goes.
At the beggining I kind of thought squat was just a synonym of sitting, but now I have realised its entire meaning. The legs bend more than just sitting, but not too long so you are crouching. Definitely a word I will never forget.
In other quick news, I got ill by eating some disgusting chicken sandwich on a 9 hour train, for me it was just one blessed time not knowing whether to squat or kneel.

2 comments:

Iki said...

A mi me pasa exactamente lo mismo... hay palabras que no se exactamente que significan, aunque tengo una idea, pero el significado exacto, no...

ahora q lo pienso, squat son los ejercicios que hago en el gimnasio, son como hacer sentadillas...

y ahora que lo mencionas tiene toda la logica del mundo, porque me imagino que para hacer algo en un bano como este http://elmarmasgrandequehay.blogspot.com/2007/07/el-bao.html uno se tiene que poner como en "squats"...

Esa gente debe tener las piernas duras... jajaja...

@LargoL said...

Hey there . . .

Squat es como lo que llamariamos "acuclillarse" . . .

Asi tiene sentido "squat toilet"

Por otro lado me doy cuenta como escribes con expresiones propias del inglés británico:

I got ill . . . aca se usa mas . . I got sick

Learnt . . . Aca se usa learned . . .

Ese uso del nt al final del verbo, aca no la perdonan.